This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Higher stamp duty refund

Olivia Scarlett
Higher stamp duty refund

Postby Olivia Scarlett » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:48 pm

Good evening,

I am trying to determine whether I would be eligible for a higher rate stamp duty refund, my situation is:

In August 2017 I purchased my new (current) home and let out the one which was my main residence at the time (which I moved out of). I am now considering selling that property (previous main residence). From what I understand if I did this within 3 years I would qualify for a refund.

However, I also own two other buy-to-let properties which I inherited (I have owned these for 10 years). I am therefore not sure whether this disqualifies me from the refund, even though the property I am selling was my main residence at the time of purchasing my current home which I had to pay the higher rate of SDLT on.

I have searched online but I am struggling to find a clear answer.

Thanks in advance.

SDLT Geek

Re: Higher stamp duty refund

Postby SDLT Geek » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:30 pm

It should not matter that you own other properties so long as you meet the conditions for the replacement of an only or main residence. There is some information here: https://m.zoopla.co.uk/discover/buying/stamp-duty-land-tax-3-surcharge-replacement-of-an-only-or-main-residence-and-the-all-important-three-year-rule/ and in the HMRC Manual at SDLTM09800.

Olivia Scarlett

Re: Higher stamp duty refund

Postby Olivia Scarlett » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:49 am

Thank you, that was really helpful.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”