This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Seconded Overseas UK to China

JRPRC2018
Seconded Overseas UK to China

Postby JRPRC2018 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:33 am

Dear All,

I am looking for some advice on my UK PAYE and as to whether I can claim back my Income Tax. Details below:

I am employed and paid by a UK company, my company sent me to work overseas 11/03/2018 and I am still overseas in China, I have not returned back to the UK during this secondment. Currently I plan to return to the UK at the beginning of February 2019.

During my secondment I have spent 5 months in Thailand and it will be 5.5 months in China.

I am as previously mentioned not drawing an overseas salary, my salary is entirely paid from the UK.

Due to the fact that I will have been out of the UK continuously for 11 months would I be entitled to any refund of tax which I have been paying.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Kind regards

Jack

AmanSood

Re: Seconded Overseas UK to China

Postby AmanSood » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:10 am

Dear All,

I am looking for some advice on my UK PAYE and as to whether I can claim back my Income Tax. Details below:

I am employed and paid by a UK company, my company sent me to work overseas 11/03/2018 and I am still overseas in China, I have not returned back to the UK during this secondment. Currently I plan to return to the UK at the beginning of February 2019.

During my secondment I have spent 5 months in Thailand and it will be 5.5 months in China.

I am as previously mentioned not drawing an overseas salary, my salary is entirely paid from the UK.

Due to the fact that I will have been out of the UK continuously for 11 months would I be entitled to any refund of tax which I have been paying.

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Kind regards

Jack
Hi Jack

The answer is it depends on your tax residency. So if you can be considered non-UK treaty resident whilst you were working in Thailand/China then you could claim back the UK taxes you have paid.

Aman
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

DavidTreitel

Re: Seconded Overseas UK to China

Postby DavidTreitel » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:33 am

Doubtless some tax is due to China and/or Thailand on Chinese/Thai source income. You can claim double tax relief for that tax in the UK. Hopefully your employer is helping with preparing and filing of those tax returns.

Return to “Income Tax”