This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Personal Allowance

deepam
Personal Allowance

Postby deepam » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:30 pm

I want some clarification regarding personal allowance. To explain with an example - if I earn 125k and put 25k into work pension (which is not taxable), do I get £11700 as personal allowance as my taxable income now will be 100k? My understanding is that there is no personal allowance above 123k

robbob

Re: Personal Allowance

Postby robbob » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:33 am

I want some clarification regarding personal allowance. To explain with an example - if I earn 125k and put 25k into work pension (which is not taxable), do I get £11700 as personal allowance as my taxable income now will be 100k?
Yes - pension payments made "by you" either reduce your taxable pay (employee payments as deduction from your gross salary) to the 100k level - or reduce your "adjusted net income" to 100k if they are pension payments via deduction from net salary or paid directly via you.

Either way your adjusted net income will be the same at 100k and therefore you will received the personal allowance in full presuming you have no other income.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/adjusted-net-income

There is a warning here though that if your "threshold income" exceeds 110k and your "adjusted income" (not to be confused with "adjusted net income"!) exceeds 150k then there could be issues if your overall level of pension contributions exceeds the relevant annual allowance - this could trigger an adverse tax charge - so there can be a sting in the tail. From the figures mentioned above in isolation you are probably fine in that regard but the level of employers pensions - salary sacrifice amounts and possibly growth in pension can all have a bearing on these calculations depending on your particular circumstances.

https://www.youinvest.co.uk/sites/default/files/AJBYI_Guide_to_annual_allowance_tapering.pdf

Return to “Income Tax”