This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gift Tax

karakaataran
Gift Tax

Postby karakaataran » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:22 pm

Pardon me if this question has been answered already before, I searched for this information but couldn't find it.

My father was a government employee in India, who was retired in October this year. He gave his settlement money to me and my sister. I'm considering purchasing a property in the UK using this money and understand that there isn't any tax when gifts are given to close family members. I have already obtained a legal certificate in India that states that source of the cash and its validity. So:

Will I be taxed in the UK?
What process should be followed to deposit this cash in my UK bank account? Is there any special type of account thats needed or just a bank transfer from dad's india account to my UK bank account is enough?
I understand that I need to show this legal certificate to the solicitor when the house purchase is going to happen.
Should I contact HMRC or any other legal entity to inform about this transfer?

Thank you and respectfully

karakaataran

Re: Gift Tax

Postby karakaataran » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:54 pm

bd6759

Re: Gift Tax

Postby bd6759 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:59 am

Pardon me if this question has been answered already before, I searched for this information but couldn't find it.
Similar questions are asked twice a month.

There is no gift tax as such in the UK. Just keep whatever documentation you have in case hyou need to show the source of the money.

Return to “Income Tax”