This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Living abroad and UK taxation

rich017
Living abroad and UK taxation

Postby rich017 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:15 pm

Hello, I am a UK citizen have a few questions regarding taxation status when living abroad and freelancing for companies based in the UK.

I have been permanently living abroad in south america for the past 10 years and have no property in the UK either.

I visit the UK every 2 years during Xmas to see family, normally I stay for around 2 weeks before returning, however last Xmas 2017 looking at my flight dates I noticed that I stayed for exactly 16 days, did this change my tax status?

From time to time I do some freelance work for a company in the UK for which i send an invoice for payment and this year I earned around £3000 or less.

Years ago when I lived and freelanced in the UK I registered on the HMRC website as a sole trader and completed my tax returns via the self assessment website, however being that I live abroad and only freelance from time to time I was wondering how i should be classified for tax purposes in the UK for this kind of work.

If I am not tax resident should I pay capital gains tax for the work done for a company based in the UK?

Many thanks.

shaws777

Re: Living abroad and UK taxation

Postby shaws777 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:35 am

I think 183 days is the limit for bein classed as resident if you have no prps. or substantial ties.

There is a reseidency test here :- https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/rdr3-statutory-residence-test-srt

You have a tax-free allowance of 11k+ each year as an individual.

mw01

Postby mw01 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:12 pm

shaws777 is on the money, you will want to be 100% clear that you are not considered a tax resident in the UK. It's not 100% clear cut as to 183 days but it does sound as though you have spent a great deal of time away from the country, so you should be fine.

rich017

Postby rich017 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:32 pm

Thank you, yes I definitely spend less than 183 days in the UK each trip (roughly every 2 years i come), the longest I've spent there was for 16 days over xmas 2017.

Regarding taxation for freelance work performed for a UK company is there a threshold for non-residents before being taxed or being as I am still British citizen (although non-resident) I was wondering that changes anything.

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:34 pm

As long as you're not actually performing the work in the UK as a non resident you should be fine

Return to “International Tax”