This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Leaving UK what do I need to do?

JohnMackerras
Leaving UK what do I need to do?

Postby JohnMackerras » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:38 pm

Hey, I’m working as self employed at the moment but in 9 days Im leaving UK for at least 2 years. What forms do I need to fill in so HMRC would know that I’m not working in UK anymore.

SteLacca

Re: Leaving UK what do I need to do?

Postby SteLacca » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:50 am

Form P85 - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-leaving-the-uk-getting-your-tax-right-p85

mw01

Postby mw01 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:15 pm

Form P85 - https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-leaving-the-uk-getting-your-tax-right-p85
If one forgets to fill this in, then does it 5 years later but back dates with the same exit date, is that OK? Or will they be a tax resident in this time and still be liable?

etf

Postby etf » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:31 am

Instructions on form P85 copied below-so this probably applies to you:

Do not fill in this form if:
• you normally live in the UK and are going abroad for short periods, for example on holiday or a business trip, or
• you have completed, or are required to complete a Self Assessment tax return for the tax year that you left

You'll need to contact HMRC to advise them of your new overseas address/confirm the cessation of UK self employment. The rest will probably flow from the completion of your 2018/19 UK tax return (consider split tax year claim) after 5 April 2019.

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:26 pm

If one forgets to fill this in, then does it 5 years later but back dates with the same exit date, is that OK? Or will they be a tax resident in this time and still be liable?
If you left it 5 years you would be outside of the statutory time limit and so out of time to make any claim.

mw01

Postby mw01 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:41 am

If you left it 5 years you would be outside of the statutory time limit and so out of time to make any claim.
So basically, I am safe?

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:28 pm

Safe from what?

If you don't notify HMRC of your departure from the UK (either using form P85 or SATR) then they will assume that you continue to have UK tax obligations, and will start to charge penalties if those perceived obligations are not met.

Return to “General”