This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Fuel card and Mileage Allowance Relief for a private car

Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:43 pm

Fuel card and Mileage Allowance Relief for a private car

Postby Jackw1711 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:59 pm

Good afternoon, I hope someone can help me.

I have worked for 3 companies this tax year (staying firmly put at my current one!) and use my private car for travel which I am allowed to claim my miles for.

Company 1 - April to October 2018; Mileage relief of 11p/mile for 6152 miles
Company 2 - October to December 2018; Mileage relief of 18p/mile for 4574 miles
Company 3 - Jan 2019 - Present; Fuel Card for all but exceptional use


Companies 1 and 2; I can claim tax relief on the difference between the above and the HMRC 45p per mile up to 10,000 miles and 25p over this. My calculation makes this £3,501 which as a 40% tax payer = £1400.40 relief

For company 3, on receipt of my P11D, I will also be able to claim the tax relief on the fuel card use (listed as "Other") which should equate to c6000 miles @ 45p = £2400 = £960.00

Can someone confirm how this is done on the self assessment form. I need to somehow show previous mileage payments to work out the difference and also a separate claim for the full 45p for the fuel card use.

It might be blindingly obvious when I finally get to log on but it's confusing me at the moment!

Many thanks in advance.

Posts: 72
Joined: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:30 pm

Re: Fuel card and Mileage Allowance Relief for a private car

Postby Tom7000 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:08 pm

yes you can employment expenses part

Return to “General”