This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

New vehicle for business

Phil1744
New vehicle for business

Postby Phil1744 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi there,

I hope someone can help, as my head is about to explode from information overload.

I'm a self employed sole trader, and I'm about to purchase a new van.

But the money is made up from different 'forms', so;

Some is gifted money
Some is a loan from a family member, interest free.
And some is vehicle finance, with interest.
I also part ex'd the old van which took money off the new one.
And payed a 300pounds deposit out right.

Any help on what I can claim on all this would be really helpful thank you.

Lambs

Re: New vehicle for business

Postby Lambs » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:12 pm

P,

It matters less where you got the money from and more what you spend it on. In this case, buying a new vehicle for your self employed trade will generally be eligible for Capital Allowances - and Annual Investment Allowance in particular. So a 100% tax allowance in the year/period of acquisition.

You may also be able to claim the interest as a further business cost.

I am assuming you are NOT cash accounting. The rules are quite different under cash accounting and may work against you in this scenario.

Regards,

Lambs

Phil1744

Re: New vehicle for business

Postby Phil1744 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:04 pm

Thanks so much for your reply!

Unfortunately I am cash accounting at the moment. The business is relatively new and very small so this seemed an easier way to go about it.

Return to “General”