This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Propert portfolio split less than Market Value

BD73
Propert portfolio split less than Market Value

Postby BD73 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:55 pm

A client has a half share in a property portfolio, roughly valued at £1m. The original purchase cost was c£900k, therefore unrealised gain at present £100k. He is selling his share to partner for £200k. As this is below market value of actual current value I assume there will be zero gain, and the £200k paid will increase the base cost for remaining partner.

I feel like I'm missing something really obvious, so apologies in advance if being dumb.

pawncob

Re: Propert portfolio split less than Market Value

Postby pawncob » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:49 pm

Steve put it this way:

Market value...

... applies to any transaction not at arm's length.

Transactions between connected parties are automatically assumed not to be at arm's length so that market value applies.

A sale at undervalue to an unconnected party is not assumed to not be at arm's length, it might just be a bad bargain, but HMRC might still be able to argue that it wasn't an arm's length transaction.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

AGoodman

Re: Propert portfolio split less than Market Value

Postby AGoodman » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:56 pm

...and under self assessment you would need a pretty good argument to explain how this transaction was at arms' length!

It would also be a £300k PET for IHT

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”