This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Do I need to pay tax on the deferred bonus which was granted before I reside to UK?

LittleB
Do I need to pay tax on the deferred bonus which was granted before I reside to UK?

Postby LittleB » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:37 pm

Dear all,

I moved to the UK from HK in Apr-2018. We are holding Tier One Entrepurence Visa and non-domiciled residences in the UK.

In Sep-2018 and Mar-2019, I received 2 deferred bonus which were from my previous employment in HK and I have resigned from that employment from May-2017.

May I know

1) do I need to file this foreign income in personal assessment?
2) am I liable to any foreign income tax?

Thanks in advance for your advise.

darthblingbling

Re: Do I need to pay tax on the deferred bonus which was granted before I reside to UK?

Postby darthblingbling » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:20 pm

Do the bonuses relate to any specific period?

LittleB

Re: Do I need to pay tax on the deferred bonus which was granted before I reside to UK?

Postby LittleB » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:39 pm

The bonus was paid for my work done in the period between Apr-2015 and Apr-2017. I have resigned since May-2017 and then unemployed until Feb-2019.

Thanks

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:58 am

As it arose in a period where you were non resident, so long as there are no UK workdays in that bonus period, it shouldn't be taxable.

LittleB

Postby LittleB » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:03 am

Hi Darthblingbling

Thanks for your advice.

Return to “International Tax”