This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Fuel Card Rebate

JamesD2019
Fuel Card Rebate

Postby JamesD2019 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:33 pm

I've had a company car and fuel card for many years, but only recently realised the fuel card had been costing me close to £260 per month in tax.

All the while I had only been putting on average around £120 of fuel per month, covering both of my business and private mileage.

If I can prove that my annual spend on fuel has been significantly less than the total amount of tax I have been paying, is there any potential for claiming anything back as a rebate? If so, how would I go about it?

darthblingbling

Re: Fuel Card Rebate

Postby darthblingbling » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:21 am

No, you need to reimburse your employer all your private fuel otherwise the fuel charge benefit applies in full. What systems does your employer have in place to monitor private fuel use?

Speak to your employer.

JamesD2019

Postby JamesD2019 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:12 am

Thank you for the response, that's interesting. In the 24 months since I have had my current company car I have driven no more than 26k miles (business and private), and have paid circa £7k in tax for the fuel benefit. Am I right in saying that if I claimed all of the mileage I've done was private use (even though no more than 50% of it was), and reimbursed the company in line with the AFR for 2.0l diesel cars @ 11p per mile, total reimbursement would be £2,860.00, in turn allowing me to reclaim the £7k spent?

GlobalTaxAdviser

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:46 pm

I would get a mileage app which you can clearly then mark business or personal mileage and reimburse the employer accordingly. The app will provide the irrefutable evidence of business mileage

Return to “Income Tax”