This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tenant or Lodger?

DonaldF
Tenant or Lodger?

Postby DonaldF » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:34 pm

A friend of mine has two two-bedroomed flats. One is in Glasgow and another is near Edinburgh.

His main residence is the flat near Edinburgh. He stays one night a week in the one in Glasgow.

He plans to rent the flat to someone on the basis that he (the landlord) has the exclusive use of one of the bedrooms, which he will use one night per week. The amount of rent charged will be reduced to reflect this.

The tenant/lodger will be responsible for paying the Council Tax and electricity. The landlord will be responsible for paying factors’ charges.

Could you please advise on the following:

1. Will the person the property is rented to be classed as a tenant or a lodger?

2. When calculating allowable expenses, will the landlord only be able to claim 6/7th of factors’ charges, to reflect private usage, due to the arrangement that he has the right to stay over one night per week?

Thank you for your anticipated advice.

pawncob

Re: Tenant or Lodger?

Postby pawncob » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:18 am

It's property law, not taxation. My guess would be he's a tenant-but it's Scotland........................
I'd restrict the claim.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

AGoodman

Re: Tenant or Lodger?

Postby AGoodman » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:25 am

In England, it doesn't sound like he would be a tenant as he does not have exclusive use of the property.
In England, we don't have Factor's charges so can't help you there.
Bear in mind they would both be liable for Council Tax so far as the council are concerned. If it isn't paid, he will be jointly liable.

Return to “Property Taxation”