This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Money gifted from abroad

gdarmst0
Money gifted from abroad

Postby gdarmst0 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:29 am

Hello,

My partner and I are UK taxpayers. Her parents who are foreign and live in another country wish to gift us money to help support and establish us in our new home. my understanding is that it will be a few thousands pounds per month for an unspecified time frame. Is there any UK taxes or declarations that need to be made on this income? I understand that UK based gifts would be subject to inheritance tax but I dont think that would apply in this instance would it?

Many Thanks.

darthblingbling

Re: Money gifted from abroad

Postby darthblingbling » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:32 am

Not taxable

JRG

Re: Money gifted from abroad

Postby JRG » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:54 am

Under the UK's Money Laundering provisions you might be required to validate the source of these regular transfers from abroad. I would suggest that you contact your UK bank for advice on this matter.

Return to “Income Tax”