This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK firs time buyers w/ property abroad?

hanz123
UK firs time buyers w/ property abroad?

Postby hanz123 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:56 pm

Hi, we would like to buy our first home in the UK. About 7 years ago my father transferred his house in Dubai into my name. He's continued to live in it and I've always been living in the UK since.

My question is twofold, are we considered first time buyers (we are married couple)?

And if not, is it a really bad idea to lie about it? The house is mortgage free and in Kuwait, so there is no reason for anyone in the UK to ever find out about it. Also, I don't live in the house..

Thanks for your advice.

AGoodman

Re: UK firs time buyers w/ property abroad?

Postby AGoodman » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:07 pm

No, you are likely disqualified as a first time buyer and you are probably also in the higher rates category as the buyer of an additional property.

And the tax professionals contributing to this board generally consider tax fraud to be a bad.

AnthonyR

Re: UK firs time buyers w/ property abroad?

Postby AnthonyR » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:22 am

I don't know... fraud enquiries generate pretty good fees...
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “Property Taxation”