This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Inheritance Tax payments prior to probate

sigmund
Inheritance Tax payments prior to probate

Postby sigmund » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:25 pm

As the executor of a will seeking probate, can I access NS&I Index Linked Certificates, held by the deceased, in order to pay the inheritance due prior to the grant of probate?

Jholm

Re: Inheritance Tax payments prior to probate

Postby Jholm » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:21 pm

Interesting read: https://www.ft.com/content/9e707b12-a026-11e6-86d5-4e36b35c3550

sigmund

Postby sigmund » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:23 pm

Unfortunately the url does not help. It merely takes one to the FT subscription page.

I seem to remember that at one stage national savings accounts could be used to pay the inheritance tax due prior to probate in order to obtain probate but I can not find any confirmation. Can anyone help please?

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:58 am

It looks like they will pay it but not as part of the Direct Payment Scheme. You may need to obtain an HMRC statement first.

https://www.nsandi.com/system/files/asset/pdf/death-claims-brochure.pdf

someone

Postby someone » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:22 pm

Unrelated to your question but I believe these certificates can be inherited. As they are no longer available to buy, if I were a beneficiary I'd prefer to inherit them rather than get the cash - and I'd probably be willing to fund the IHT in order to avoid at least some of my share from being cashed in.

sigmund

Postby sigmund » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:20 pm

Thank you AGoodman. It is not terribly clear from the pfd leaflet, but as you say it looks as if a statement from HMRC is needed first. It was my original understanding that the IHT could be paid direct from NS&I to HMRC but I could not find the reference.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”