This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax Rates

LesCG
Tax Rates

Postby LesCG » Tue May 07, 2019 2:55 pm

I have been looking at the Government Guidance on CGT rates on the disposal of residential property (not the tax payers residence).
I note that a person paying higher rate income tax pays 28%. For basic rate payers, Official guidance says "if the amount is within the basic income band you'll pay 18% on residential property. You'll pay 28% on residential property on any amount above the basic tax rate".
Am I right in interpretting this to mean that any part of the gain added to taxable income but within the basic rate band (currently £50,000) is chargeable at 18% and the balance above that is charged at 28%?
For instance if the gain is £70,000 and the taxable income is £40,000 CGT is charged at 18% on £10,000 and 28% on £60,000

Thank you

Leslie Green

robbob

Re: Tax Rates

Postby robbob » Tue May 07, 2019 3:03 pm

Am I right in interpretting this to mean that any part of the gain added to taxable income but within the basic rate band (currently £50,000) is chargeable at 18% and the balance above that is charged at 28%?
For instance if the gain is £70,000 and the taxable income is £40,000 CGT is charged at 18% on £10,000 and 28% on £60,000
Yes and Yes - both correct - however do note that each individual has their "annual capital gains tax free allowance each year - so if your actual gain is 70k and your allowance is not used up elsewhere then the gain used in your calcs will be 70k-12k (tax free allowance) = 58k and not 70k - i am guessing you have already reduced calcs for this 12k tho.

https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/allowances

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”