This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT / ER

pasco
CGT / ER

Postby pasco » Wed May 15, 2019 2:07 pm

Hi all - looking for some advice on ER...

I have a few shares in a company given to me over 3 years ago. This gave me 5.2%. Over the last 3+ years the company has grown, taken on more staff and investors, diluting my share to 4.7%.

I joined the company full time (PAYE) and started looking at how my holding could be taxed if the company were to be sold. I am working on the assumption that my diluted holding would no longer qualify for ER tax rates (given it was allocated 3+ years ago) and so I am now trying to find a way to secure that rate and its significant savings.

There is potential to acquire shares from an existing holder to move back over the 5% threshold, possibly using deferred consideration so that I don't have to find the money now and they don't get hit with CGT until the *potential* sale further down the line - however far that may be??

Any other ideas welcome.

SteLacca

Re: CGT / ER

Postby SteLacca » Fri May 17, 2019 10:23 am

Have a look at Investor's Relief. https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg63500p

pasco

Re: CGT / ER

Postby pasco » Fri May 17, 2019 10:46 am

Have a look at Investor's Relief. https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg63500p
I didn't pay anything for the shares so wouldn't qualify... "subscribed for with new money that benefits the company"

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”