This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buying from the UK but being charged VAT

VATtaxedman
Buying from the UK but being charged VAT

Postby VATtaxedman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:42 pm

Im a business buying wholesale goods in the UK shipped to a UK address (freight forwarder) who will then ship to me in Canada where they will be sold to consumers. My supplier says since its being shipped to a UK address he must charge VAT but I can contact HMRC for how to collect it back. Would this be a possible scenario to collect VAT back from the HMRC? Is there a specific department for this?

The products in question are outdoor items.

Im from Canada and am unable to call the UK HMRC # and in a different time zone. I contacted HMRC on FB and they sent me this link https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-on-goods-exported-from-the-uk-notice-703?#conditions-for-zero-rating-in-specific-circumstances

Which appears to be "no".

Notes: My supplier cant ship directly to Canada, out of the question (distributor rules). They also are forced to charge VAT. The only way out appears is to request it back from HMRC.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

les35

Re: Buying from the UK but being charged VAT

Postby les35 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:57 am

The UK freight forwarder should be registered for VAT, and then zero-rate his exports. Can you explore that option?

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”