This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK - Dubai mid year move

JamieG172
UK - Dubai mid year move

Postby JamieG172 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:36 pm

I am currently a UK resident with a job in the UK getting paid in this tax year. I will have worked 6th April 2019 - 31st July 2019 in the UK, albeit last salary will be paid on 26th June. I finished work May 31st and being paid for June in lieu of leave. I will take July as "unpaid leave" before transferring to a different office with my company in Dubai. I will get a P45 as I leave one payroll and join another, but never "leave" the company from a continuous service perspective.

I will have spent 29days out of the UK between 6th April and July 31st. I do have a room in my sisters home and/or my parents available to me continuously in UK. Once I move to Dubai I will be living and working out there - and will be resident over there. As long as I spend less than 90days (or is it 183?) in the UK this tax year, am I eligible to not to pay UK tax on any overseas salary earnt after 31st July, on the basis of the above, or will I be liable? I will be in Dubai for minimum 2 years (so definitely rest of this tax year ad all of next tax year).

Many Thanks
Jamie

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: UK - Dubai mid year move

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:00 pm

You probably be entitled to split Year under the Statutory Residence Test and none of your Dubai income will be taxed in UK

Return to “Income Tax”