This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

BIK on salary sacrifice car

Jina
BIK on salary sacrifice car

Postby Jina » Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:50 pm

I need some help. I work in the NHS and got a lease car where I pay the full amount for the car as a salary sacrifice.

The car is not a company perk. Why do I have to pay the cash equivalent of GB BIK?

I was on the assumption the amount I pay will be taken from my gross salary.

I got my month 12 payslip which now shows two figures:

Gross pay: £34514
Taxable pay: £39032

Shouldn't the taxable pay be less?

Payroll are saying this is incorrect but haven't explained the reason.

Tax92

Re: BIK on salary sacrifice car

Postby Tax92 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:23 pm

My understanding is that the cars are classified as company cars and therefore attract car benefit tax.

The trust must be patrolling the benefit in kind which is why your taxable pay is higher than your actual salary.

Has your tax code gone back up to the standard value ?

Have you asked the lease provider what they think?

bd6759

Re: BIK on salary sacrifice car

Postby bd6759 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:30 pm

The car is not a company perk. Why do I have to pay the cash equivalent of GB BIK?
You had a choice. Cash or a car. Both are taxable. If you were given more cash you would expect to the pay tax on that. Instead of cash, you are given a car. You pay tax on that instead.
Payroll are saying this is incorrect but haven't explained the reason.
You need to speak to payroll - they are the people who put these figures on your payslip.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”