This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tell Inland revenue i did contract work in time off?

Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:50 am

Tell Inland revenue i did contract work in time off?

Postby treez » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:25 am

I am a UK citizen working as a Full-Time electronics engineer in UK.

I recently took two weeks off, and during this two weeks , I actually worked on a £40 per hour contract, for a totally different company….then went back to my full time job again. (I never actually left my full time job, but just took 2 weeks off)

Whilst working as a contractor for the two weeks, I was not a “limited company” type of contractor, but worked under an umbrella company, which I think is called “PAYE type” of contractor.

So, on the contract, I worked the following hours…..
Week beginning Monday 20th May 2019….worked 30 hours
Week beginning Monday 27th May 2019….worked 15 hours

My Tax code at my full time job is “1250L”
My tax code on the contract was “1250L W1”

I am now back working at my full time job.

Do you think I must report anything to the Inland Revenue?

Posts: 3094
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Re: Tell Inland revenue i did contract work in time off?

Postby bd6759 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:13 pm

They are both PAYE jobs. HMRC should reconcile your two employments after the end of the year and give you a calculation.

To protect yourself you might want to drop them note after 5 April 2010, but before 5 October 2020, to tell them that you may have a small tax liability. If you do that, you have protected yourself from any (however unlikely) "failure to notify" penalties from HMRC

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”