This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Rent Refund Tax Question

Tallorder
Rent Refund Tax Question

Postby Tallorder » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:09 pm

Hi, I am a self employed sole trader and I rent 2 garages to store some business items and have been claiming the rent as an expense since 2 years ago when I first got them. I recently received a letter saying there had been a mistake and they had been overcharging me for 2 years and that they would be sending me a refund of a few hundred pounds. The payment arrived today. As I have already claimed all the past rent as expenses on my accounts what do I do about this latest payment? Also does it matter that about half of this refund is related to 2 years ago for which the self assessment had already been submitted? Thank you for any help you can offer.

Jholm

Re: Rent Refund Tax Question

Postby Jholm » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:29 pm

I would say to include it in this years turnover. If it was declared as an expense, you claimed tax relief on it. Therefore, the other side of the coin is to declare it within your turnover.

wamstax

Re: Rent Refund Tax Question

Postby wamstax » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:07 pm

As opposed to turnover I would treat it as a receipt against rents in the current year as received
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

Return to “Business Tax”