This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

seeking HMRC approval for claiming a capitalloss on the sale of apartments in Bulgaria in 2009

chriscanning7
seeking HMRC approval for claiming a capitalloss on the sale of apartments in Bulgaria in 2009

Postby chriscanning7 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:31 am

I was hoping someone may be able to advise.

I sold two apartments in 2009 that were in Bulgaria. The total loss was £33,000

I never reported the loss and never realised I might be able to set the loss against a gain in the future.

I have just submitted a self assessment for 2017/18. In this year I sold a buy to let property and made a gain of £9,000

I understand that I may still be able to use the loss I made in 2009 against the gain I made in 2017.

Ive spoken to a technician from HMRC and she told me that I could not automatically do this and I would have to write a letter and ask if the tax inspectors would approve the loss and me using it to offset a gain some 8 years later.

Could anyone advise if this is possible and if so what I should include in the letter to assist with it being approved?

Many thanks

Chris

bd6759

Re: seeking HMRC approval for claiming a capitalloss on the sale of apartments in Bulgaria in 2009

Postby bd6759 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:44 pm

You cannot do this.

A loss is only an allowable loss if it has been notified to HMRC in the same way as you would make a claim. The time limit for making a claim is 4 years so you are now out of time. There are no provisions to extend the time limit.

s16(2A) Taxation of Chargeable Gains Act 1992 says:
(2A) A loss accruing to a person in a year of assessment shall not be an allowable loss for the purposes of this Act unless, in relation to that year, he gives a notice to an officer of the Board quantifying the amount of that loss; and sections 42 and 43 of the Management Act shall apply in relation to such a notice as if it were a claim for relief.
You won't find that provision on legislation.gov.uk because it has not been updated. 2A was introduced by S113 Finance Act 1995 as part of a raft of consequential amendments required for the introduction of self-assessment.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1995/4/section/113

Jholm

Re: seeking HMRC approval for claiming a capitalloss on the sale of apartments in Bulgaria in 2009

Postby Jholm » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:51 pm

Surely your £9,000 gain is covered by the annual exemption anyway? Or do you mean taxable gain of £9,000?

Return to “Income Tax”