This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

What steps to find NI number online. . . as a new Self Assessment gateway user

Inq
What steps to find NI number online. . . as a new Self Assessment gateway user

Postby Inq » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:50 pm

Hello.
Trying to find online, a "letter" of my NI number, in order to printout for proof to a third party (in the "real" world).

Just registered online, received an activation code through post. . .now my online login gateway gets me to a self assessment area. . .contaiming basic info of my personal and tax affairs.
BUT
I cant find a link so it shows any section where my NI shows up.

A youtube vid explains just how to accomplish this, but the login area shown goes to a Personal Tax area (from which the NI for printout is clearly obtainable)

Soooo... where is the NI printout page in my Self Assessment area.

Any knowledge, thoughts, to solve this puzzling predicament, would be most appreciated.
King regards.

darthblingbling

Re: What steps to find NI number online. . . as a new Self Assessment gateway user

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:54 pm

Daft question, but so you definitely have an NI number?

Applying for self assessment will only get you a UTR number.

hendersontax

Re: What steps to find NI number online. . . as a new Self Assessment gateway user

Postby hendersontax » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:09 pm

Are you definitely looking in your Personal Tax Account? There should be link to 'View your National Insurance letter' in the top-right part of the main screen. If it's not there, you might want to try the HMRC online services helpdesk (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/online-services-helpdesk) or otherwise you can apply for confirmation of your NI number by post here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-insurance-get-your-national-insurance-number-in-writing-ca5403. Hope that helps.
Tom Henderson ATT(Fellow) CTA
tom@henderson.tax
henderson.tax

Inq

Postby Inq » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:18 pm

Daft question, but so you definitely have an NI number?

Applying for self assessment will only get you a UTR number.
Yep SA shows the UTR number, but am seeking NI proof.
Yep got NI. . . I know it. . . but am after it in letter format

Think hendersontax might be onto something.

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:24 pm

Haven’t tested it out but if it’s on your account you might get it by starting to complete your next tax return on the front cover
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

Inq

Postby Inq » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:31 pm

Are you definitely looking in your Personal Tax Account? There should be link to 'View your National Insurance letter' in the top-right part of the main screen. If it's not there, you might want to try the HMRC online services helpdesk (https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/online-services-helpdesk) or otherwise you can apply for confirmation of your NI number by post here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/national-insurance-get-your-national-insurance-number-in-writing-ca5403. Hope that helps.
You may have hit the problem point right on the head. . .
* I'm definitely NOT in the Personal Tax area.

Even if following the Personal Tax links on the HMRC website I end up at a Gateway login page.
I'm sure I only have one Gateway number. . . which I use, with its password. . . Then I end up in SA area.

What NEW login page/place/references should I be using to get into a Personal Tax area.
thanks

hendersontax

Postby hendersontax » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:47 pm

The log-in page is https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account. Perhaps you haven't actually set it up yet? If you are in the old-style Self Assessment area (styled with green menus), you could try clicking on 'Your HMRC services' in the top-left and you should be presented with a link for your Personal Tax Account.
tom@henderson.tax
henderson.tax

Inq

Postby Inq » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:25 pm

The log-in page is https://www.gov.uk/personal-tax-account. Perhaps you haven't actually set it up yet? If you are in the old-style Self Assessment area (styled with green menus), you could try clicking on 'Your HMRC services' in the top-left and you should be presented with a link for your Personal Tax Account.
Yep, It is the green one. . . I did find your mentioned "hmrc services" link (thanks). . . it showed a page (been there before) which does list "personal tax account" link (seems the perfect place to go) . . .
But. . . clicking just asked security questions. . . then opened up with another (same) "green" (business) page. . . same as where I'd started.

POSSIBLE route to solve:
I tried the Personal Tax Account link you gave. . . it goes to a page "Provide your identity" with:
3 signin options plus 1 "create an account"
Now this. . .
I've been here before and, because I have a Gateway number, I always choose the first signin choice. . . "Sign in with Government Gateway". . . but it just goes to the green SA area.
So. . .
Should I here. . .
Click the "create account". . . and be creating a new account. . . A Personal Tax Account?
thanks

hendersontax

Postby hendersontax » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:43 pm

Hi again. I'm not sure that would be correct, as you already have a Government Gateway ID. When I sign in with my own details on this page, it takes me to the personal tax account. I would suggest you contact the online services helpdesk as referenced in my previous post as something appears to be not functioning properly for you.
tom@henderson.tax
henderson.tax

Inq

Postby Inq » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:09 pm

Yeeer. . . seemed right to use known Gateway for suggested option. . . well, reckon covered most options, leaving the online services helpdesk, a sensible route. (taking into account, as previously noted, I can get one sent by post), so. . .
Thanks hendersontax, for your time and responses, very much appreciated.
Thanks to all for chipping in.
Inq

Return to “Business Tax”