This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Inheritance Gift

Carli
Inheritance Gift

Postby Carli » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:13 pm

Over the past few years, whilst my mother was dying in Germany, I, who live in the UK and am a UK citizen, visited her and my father countless times, at least 30, with my son, their grandson, under the request of my father. He wanted me to bring him books from the UK, and so we packed out our hand luggage and made many short visits to them. I don't have much money, and my father told me not to worry and that he would cover the expenses of these trips. This he did by putting Euros into my Spanish bank account. Last year I spent more than £8000 for my son and myself to visit. Both my parents passed in the last 6 months, and now my brother, who I've been estranged from and who is the executor of their will, is insisting that this money must be declared and put back as part of the estate. I explained that it was given to pay for these trips, as by request, but i don't have any evidence or paperwork to back this. Just all my flight and hotel receipts. Obviously I no longer have the money.
Is there anyway I can declare these expenses, and not have them deducted from my portion of my inheritance?
My brother is just swinging everything in his favour, and saying that half of what I was given over a 10 year period should be his, and a quarter, my son's, as that's how the will is divided.

AGoodman

Re: Inheritance Gift

Postby AGoodman » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:43 am

I assume this is a matter of German succession law so you are unlikely to find anybody here who can help.

It does sound unlikely though, given the context.

If the estate is under English law it is nonsense.

Carli

Re: Inheritance Gift

Postby Carli » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:22 pm

The only will is German and my parents were German citizens and residents. I have made several posts as I have so many different issues with this. My brother, who is the only executor is picking through my parents' bank accounts and knows exactly what I have been given, whereas I don'thave access to such information. I have been instructed to declare every single gift, small or large, for the past 10 years, which I am happy to do, but he deems to be in some denial of what he was given. I only have my parents' heresay to go by, and of course, I can no longer get them to defend my side!

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”