This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Critical illness and dental insurance

luclucluc222
Critical illness and dental insurance

Postby luclucluc222 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:30 am

Hello,

I received P11D from my employer. On it it says (in section M) that I received £450 benefit. It comprises of critical illness insurance (gbp300 in tax year 18/19) and dental insurance (gbp150). Both premiums are deducted automatically from my salary every month. So I guess it's not fully benefit (as I pay it every month), but I'm guessing it reduces my tax base (hence why it's classified as benefit).

How should I reflect those in my online tax self-assessment? Which section and then which subsection specifically?

Thanks!

SteLacca

Re: Critical illness and dental insurance

Postby SteLacca » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:35 pm

Are the figures on the P11D premiums paid over and above your contribution via payroll?

luclucluc222

Postby luclucluc222 » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:24 pm

Are the figures on the P11D premiums paid over and above your contribution via payroll?
Hi, thanks for response. No - every month around gbp37 gets deducted from my salary for those two insurance policies. Hence they yearly value of gbp450 (37 * 12). I do not pay anything above what gets automatically deducted from the monthly pay.

hendersontax

Postby hendersontax » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:33 am

It does not make sense that you have received a P11D showing taxable amounts (assuming it doesn't show any amounts 'made good') and at the same time you are saying you funded these benefits yourself. Either the P11D should show your own contributions as amounts 'made good' and the taxable benefit is the net amount, or you are not actually having deductions made from your pay (perhaps the payslip just shows the figures for information only), or there is some mistake (for example, you the benefits are payrolled, in which case your employer should not have issued you with a P11D). I suggest you clarify what's going on with your employer before completing your own tax return.
Tom Henderson ATT(Fellow) CTA
tom@henderson.tax
henderson.tax

luclucluc222

Postby luclucluc222 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:07 pm

Thanks for advice and response! I have contacted my employer asking what you suggested - will follow up when I have a response.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”