This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Cash gift from UAE

dectree123
Cash gift from UAE

Postby dectree123 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:53 am

Hello,

My understanding is that tax is usually not due when receiving cash gifts from abroad.

However, I received a cash gift from my parents from the UAE and there was no dual taxation agreement in place at the time. I should mention that my parents are not UK nationals and that they are not domiciled in the UK and that they have no financial link to the UK. I should also mention that I am domiciled in the UK and that I pay all my taxes here.

I would like to know whether the absence of this agreement changes my liability to pay tax on this gift.

Thank you!

darthblingbling

Re: Cash gift from UAE

Postby darthblingbling » Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:50 pm

No UK tax issues.

If its a particularly large sum it may flag for money laundering questions however

dectree123

Postby dectree123 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:34 pm

Thank you for your reply! Should I assume from your answer that you considered the lack of dual tax treaty between the UK and UAE?

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:56 pm

There is a tax treaty, but this doesn't apply to inheritance tax.

Return to “International Tax”