This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Where to pay tax as a remote worker traveling Europe

Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:01 pm

Where to pay tax as a remote worker traveling Europe

Postby digitalnomad » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:05 pm

I am looking for some advice regarding tax as a remote worker traveling around Europe.

I am a British citizen and will hopefully soon be employed by a company based in Denmark, with offices also in the UK. I would be employed on a fully remote basis and am hoping to be able to travel around Europe whilst working remotely. I believe the company is open to permanent contracts in Denmark or the UK, or as a contractor (though this seems like it would be more complicated so I'm hesitant to go down this path).

I would not have any fixed accommodation in the UK and would likely be looking to stay in a given country for anywhere between a couple of weeks to 6 months before moving on to the next country. All my accounts (bank, phone etc.) would be registered in the UK at a family member's address.

My question is mainly where I should be paying tax, but also if there are any other restrictions or hurdles to consider, such as being registered and paying tax in the UK but not being physically located there.

Could I get paid in the UK on an NT tax code (not pay any tax) and then pay tax in the countries I visit? I don't know if this is possible but I guess in this case I would need to register/unregister with the individual countries as I come and go.

Any ideas on what my options are in this situation?

Return to “International Tax”