This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

PAYE 16/17 - help with claiming a rebate?

Mika90
PAYE 16/17 - help with claiming a rebate?

Postby Mika90 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:53 am

Morning all,

So I find Tax confusing (and a possible alternative to sleeping tablets) and I am hitting a brick wall with a possible owed rebate for 16/17. I am hoping someone could assist me with a) am I owed a rebate & b) following my two unsuccessful attempts to claim (what I think I'm owed back) where do I go next?

a) I stopped working on 20/06/16 (leaving with a tax code of 1041L0 and having paid total £606.00 tax via PAYE) and then resumed working for the same employer on 05/09/16. On my return to work, I was given an emergency tax code and the September payslip showed my year to date tax paid was only £366.80. I think the tax I paid from April to June wasn't taken into account. Having used the HMRC online calculator I believe I was owed £503.80

b) I have contacted HMRC twice last year about this. The second letter in Jan this year enclosed all my payslips etc. I was given a reply stating, in fact, I owed tax for 16/17, but it was so nominal they wouldn't bother reclaiming it. The letter didn't deal with my calculations at all and didn't provide any of their own. I spoke to an FTT Tax Judge about my problem and he suggested small claims - which I can't afford and really wouldn't even know what I'd be taking them to court for? I assume next step is a phone call but I'm just very skeptical about HMRC helpline agents tbh.
So where do I go now? HELP

Mika

bd6759

Re: PAYE 16/17 - help with claiming a rebate?

Postby bd6759 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:41 pm

The FTT Tax Judge would have been able to explain to you how to calculate your tax, and would know that the small claims court has no jurisdiction to hear tax matters: that is the reserve of the FTT.

You cannot calculate a tax rebate by looking at the tax you paid. You first need to look at the amount you earned.

To calculate the tax due, you add up all of your income (the amount shown on your payslips before tax an NI deductions) between 6 April 2016 and 5 April 2017. You then deduct £11,100. You multiple what id left by 0.2. That is the tax you are due to pay.

You compare that with the tax you have paid. Rememebr that the PAYE system works on a cumulative basis, so it is perfectly possible that one employer might have repaid tax decuted by an earlier employer.

HMRC can and should have given you a compuation. Ask them for their reconciliation.

Return to “PAYE and Payroll Taxes, National Insurance, NICs”