This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sole trader

Rmfm1
Sole trader

Postby Rmfm1 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:09 am

Hi I've always subcontracted so have been pre taxed by cis. I've now set up my self and am responsible for my own tax. I'm not vat registered and am classed as a sole trader. So far I've turned of approximately £15000 with expenditure of approximately £9500 giving a profit of approximately £5500. As a sole trader which of these figures do I pay income tax on.
Regards
Richard

Jerome_Lane

Re: Sole trader

Postby Jerome_Lane » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:07 am

You'll pay income tax and class 4 NIC on your taxable profits (currently the £5,500 if all your expenses are tax deductible. You have a personal allowance which is probably £12,500 so right now you may be in line for a repayment if CIS is being deducted. You can apply for gross payment once you get past £30,000 of gross income. Class 4 NIC starts once profits get past £8,632. You'll also have to pay class 2 NIC at £3 per week if profits are over £6,365. Your accountant or tax advisor should be able to tell you all this tho. Good luck!
Jerome Lane
Tax Advisor
jerome.lane@stewartco.co.uk
Stewart&Co.
Chartered Accountants
Telephone: 01276 61203

robbob

Postby robbob » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:05 am

Hi I've always subcontracted so have been pre taxed by cis.
Note you haven't fully been pre taxed when a deduction is made for cis - there is simply a fixed rate deduction that is deducted from your end of year tax bill. As you marginal rate of tax and class ni is 29% when profits are over pa allowance you can have 20% tax deducted and still owe money if you are expenses light - based on your numbers though it may be you have tax coming back.

Note your sales declared to hmrc are always the full value of sales invoices / work done before any cis tax is deducted - so if you do 20k of cis work and get 4k cis tax deducted and end up with 16k in your bank account/pocket - then your sales income is still the full 20k. The 4k is simply deducted from your final calculated tax bill for the year

Rmfm1

Postby Rmfm1 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:51 am

To clear this up. I no longer sub contract so am not being deducted cis anymore. I'm solely responsible for my own tax. I am NOT vat registered and don't need to be as I don't hit the threshold. I am enquiring sole on self employment income tax. I'm aware its 20% and I have to declare as class 4 adjustment in my tax return I just need to know whether I am expected to pay tax on gross takings or profit after expenses.
Thanks
Richard

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:29 pm

You pay tax on your profits. That is the difference between your income and your expenses.

But you seem very confused. A sub-contractor on CIS is self-employed. The CIS just ensures that tax is paid. You will probably have paid hundredsvif not thousands of pounds too much tax over the years.

robbob

Postby robbob » Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:32 am

I just need to know whether I am expected to pay tax on gross takings or profit after expenses.
As bd6759 confirms its tax on profits.

For clarity i will give an example that shows how profits are calculated - and how cis tax credit is given

Non cis sales 10,000
cis sales - gross value work done £5,000 - tax deducted £1000 - net amount received £4000

Expenses of business - allowable materials - allowable motor - allowable insurance etc - £9500 - Note cis tax taken from your income Is NOT an expense.
Note £9500 of expenses seems high for £15,000 of income - is there something included in your original figures that shouldnt be?

Ok
Gross sales= £10k+5k = £15,000 (full value of work done before cis deductions)
expenses £9,500
Taxable profit £5500

You then calculate your tax liability for the year with that profit of 5500 added to any other taxable income and the final step is to deduct £1,000 cis tax deducted from your calculated tax bill.
If your tax bill is Nil you will be due a refund of £1,000 being cis tax deducted.

Return to “Income Tax”