This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Working dog/sheep dog

simpsonite
Working dog/sheep dog

Postby simpsonite » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:26 am

Hi all,
Could someone clarify whether a sheep dog/working dog is exempt/zero or standard rated for VAT?

Thanks,
simpsonite

darthblingbling

Re: Working dog/sheep dog

Postby darthblingbling » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:14 pm

PAYE as it's an employee. Plus an hour for lunch :D

robbob

Postby robbob » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:08 pm

I am guessing the vat treatment is more like a bumble bee (standard rated) than a honey bee (zero rated).
If that's the case i would default to standard rated
2.1 Supplies of live animals that are zero-rated
You can zero rate the sale, hire or loan or supply of a part interest (a share) of a live animal provided it’s of a kind generally used in the UK, or yielding or producing food for human consumption.
Animal includes bird, fish, crustacean and mollusc.
Its very poorly worded however there is nothing in the above that would give hope that a dog would qualify for the zero rating as it doesn't produce or yield food - although the sensible thing if in doubt would be to seek written advise from the vat office. If one really wanted to go try - could you argue you were going to eat the dog when its done its duties? - i don't think that's illegal at present however its deffo generally not done and if you are a seller then its deffo not an option as i'm pretty sure selling dogmeat is illegal.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/animals-and-animal-food-notice-70115#live-animals

simpsonite

Postby simpsonite » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:29 am

PAYE as it's an employee. Plus an hour for lunch :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

simpsonite

Postby simpsonite » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:36 am

Hi robbob,
Thanks for your response.
I suppose the dogs could be eaten but i feel that is not the intent here :D

I was not aware of the differing vat treatment regarding the honey bee & bumble bee :shock:

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”