This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Reclaim Income Tax and National Insurance

WellThought
Reclaim Income Tax and National Insurance

Postby WellThought » Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:43 pm

Hi,

I'm currently working out how to finance my last year of uni. However, I'm still not fully sure how my internship salary is taxed.

I'm a EU citizen getting 33,000 pro rata for exactly 2 months. On top of that I received a one time 2,000 allowance. This internship is the only paid work I'm doing this financial year.

On my pay slip both income tax and national insurance were deducted by my employer (as I expected to happen). How much of income tax / national insurance will I be able to claim back and where does it say that in the statutes?

Many thanks!

darthblingbling

Re: Reclaim Income Tax and National Insurance

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:32 am

What makes you think you can reclaim tax and NI?

Jerome_Lane

Postby Jerome_Lane » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:07 am

i' m assuming you'll be on about £5k total income for the year. Assuming you're entitled to the UK personal allowance as an EU citizen, then you'll be able to reclaim the income tax after the end of the UK tax year (5 April 2020) by calling or writing to HMRC provided you haven't exceeded the personal allowance through the tax year. NIC is not a cumulative tax and therefore you will not be able to reclaim this as you exceeded the lower limits during specific pay periods.
Jerome Lane
Tax Advisor
jerome.lane@stewartco.co.uk
Stewart&Co.
Chartered Accountants
Telephone: 01276 61203

WellThought

Postby WellThought » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:13 pm

Thanks for you quick response!

Return to “Income Tax”