This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Declaring foreign savings income

chinchilla1000
Declaring foreign savings income

Postby chinchilla1000 » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:40 pm

Hi all,
I'm an Aussie expat living in the UK for the past few years, with bank accounts held in Australia. On the self-assessment form it says that untaxed foreign income needs to be declared. However, when I lodged my Australian tax return last year (Australian tax year being July-June) I reported the interest earned on my Australian accounts (under £20) to the Australian Tax Office and subsequently paid tax to the ATO accordingly. May I confirm that this small amount does not need to be declared to HMRC, since I have already declared and paid tax on it in Australia? (Please note I don't currently complete self-assessment)
Cheers!

pawncob

Re: Declaring foreign savings income

Postby pawncob » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:02 pm

It's probably not taxable, so just ignore it.
https://www.gov.uk/apply-tax-free-interest-on-savings
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Income Tax”