This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax requirements for US company

Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:45 pm

Tax requirements for US company

Postby ghotion » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:39 pm


I run a small ad-supported, web-based business in the USA where I accept payment from individual advertisers (usually about $45 each). I want to expand to include the UK and accept ad payment from the UK in GBP via Paypal, etc. I don't have an office in the UK.

Can someone tell me what taxes I would need to pay on my UK revenue? Is VAT an issue? E.g., assuming that over the course of a year I had 100 advertisers, each paying 40 GBP, what tax requirements would there be? Would I need to register somewhere?

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Posts: 633
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:18 am

Re: Tax requirements for US company

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:27 pm

There will be no Corporation Tax since the place of effective management is in the US. You will need to account for the tax on profits in US

If you are selling digital services from outside the EU to individuals then you will have to register for VAT Moss. If selling to UK businesses then no VAT will apply

Posts: 8
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:33 pm

Re: Tax requirements for US company

Postby mehranmichail » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:36 pm

Businesses established outside the EU
If you are based outside the EU and supply digital services to consumers in the EU, the place of supply will be where the consumer is located.

You’ll either have to:

register for the VAT Mini One Stop Shop (VAT MOSS) in an EU member state
register in each EU member state where your consumers are located
The £8,818 digital services threshold does not apply and you’re responsible for accounting for VAT on the supply regardless of the value of the sales.

Srijana Pandey
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:06 am

Re: Tax requirements for US company

Postby Srijana Pandey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:05 pm

Dear, mehranmichail
I do appreciate your words and the terms that you have used to give the answer. Not only the questioner ghotion clear about that I am also clear from that thanks for your informative answer.

Return to “Business Tax”