This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Help - Corp tax - Submitting first year accounts

WIlson95816
Help - Corp tax - Submitting first year accounts

Postby WIlson95816 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:28 pm

Hi

21 months ago I created a Ltd company, the end result was I did a small bit of work and made no profit

I have submitted the companies first accounts within the deadline which is tomorrow, but now am under the impression that I must submit Corporation tax figures to HMRC before tomorrow otherwise I will incur a fine

Problem is, when I set this company up I created a Govt Gateway account but it is under my name, rather than the company's, so it won't allow me to submit anything re. Corporation tax (obviously)

Was I supposed to set one up for the business as well with a separate UTR?

Clearly it's too late for this before the deadline

Any rapid advice would be appreciated, I'd like to avoid or pay minimal fines of course

I can't find an e-mail address to get in touch with HMRC which isn't helping!!

robbob

Re: Help - Corp tax - Submitting first year accounts

Postby robbob » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:24 am

Just keep notes of steps you have taken if you need to appeal, as a first year submitter the fact you tried on time might help. don't delay registration as that will have time stamp and you may want to try ringing corp tax to see what they advise if they wont let you submit in like a hurry.

Note the good news is that you have 12 months from year end date used to file the corporation tax return so if your accounts year end is say 31/1/2019 the corporation tax return(s) thankfully don't have to be filed till 31/1/2020 - so hopefully you still have plenty of time. Before filing ensure year end dates and start of trading dates match what hmrc have on their systems! - if dates dont match often return submitted is simply ignored by hmrc.

Don't delay acting though as corporation tax filing must be in a specified format that hmrc approve of - they are much more fussy than companies house.

If you want to contact hmrc use the number on the notice to file notice from the corporation tax section - failing that try 0300 200 3410

Return to “Business Tax”