Hi all, firstly many thanks for any advice given here, I am a complete idiot when it comes to financial matters.
For the last few years, since about 2014, I think, I have worked freelance, with no fixed abode, staying with friends etc
After a few years of being unemployed, I slowly started to get some more freelance work working abroad, primarily in the US writing custom software and the like. I was never quite sure if the work would last a few more weeks, months or even years.
During this period I have never registered as self employed or paid any tax, NI contributions etc.
My yearly incomes (calculating between April of each year) range from ~£6000 up to ~£30,000 depending on the year. Once every few months I try and sort this situation out and after doing research get completely conflicting information on the best way to proceed.
Mainly, I'd love some advice on the best way to proceed to sort this mess out and before I do try and get some kind of idea of what kind of financial trouble I'm in.
1. Can I claim expenses on my income retrospectively?
2. How do I go about registering as self employed when I don't have a fixed UK address, or even know where I might be on a month to month basis? My bank account is currently registered to an old address. I would rather not involve any friends/relatives in this mess.
3. Should this be the job of an accountant to sort out?
4. I have little in the way of assets, no dependencies/bills etc, very few belongings and very little in the way of disposable income, I live very much hand-to-mouth as it were.
5. If I contact HMRC do they contact the people I have worked with/for? That would almost certainly guarantee the loss of any future work with those employers.
Again, any advice here is greatly appreciated.