This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Taxation on Web Content - Eg, Udemy.com

AaronPritchard
Taxation on Web Content - Eg, Udemy.com

Postby AaronPritchard » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:28 pm

hi,

i have had a search of this forum but couldnt find what i was looking for.

Looking for some advice on how tax works when your earnings are 100% online, and in this example, under US domain.
i was looking at the possibility of uploading some training course content to online training provider Udemy. The way the site works (loosely) is that you get paid direct into a Paypal or similar account. But, they expect the relevant US tax form to be filled in (W-xxxx type forms). The particular form isnt my concern at the moment, its the process of how this would work under UK tax obligations.

Scenario:
- i am a UK PAYE.
- I am looking to upload a couple of courses to see if a) i am any good. b) anyone wants to buy a course from me.
- if even a single course sells, then i need to be filling out a form to HMRC of some sort.

so the question:
- how do online-earners deal with this? Such as youtube, or affiliate marking income?
- as i am already PAYE, should i be considering a LTD company right off the bat?
- if PAYE, i assume in the first instance any income would be declared in a self-assesment form?

many thanks in advance.

jerome.lane

Re: Taxation on Web Content - Eg, Udemy.com

Postby jerome.lane » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi, this would depend on your PAYE income level, whether you want the profit for lifestyle or to recycle back into the business. If you're only testing waters, I would suggest going self employed and then incorporating if it starts to take off. Otherwise, you could end up with admin and costs with no income or profit... You really should engage an advisor to look at your circumstances.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

darthblingbling

Re: Taxation on Web Content - Eg, Udemy.com

Postby darthblingbling » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:08 pm

Also don't ignore the US forms otherwise you'll find your income is subject to withholding tax in the US and you'll need to file a US return to get the tax back (default is 30% I believe).

I believe it is form W8 BEN that must be completed to insure the income has the correct treaty rate applied to the withholding tax.

Return to “International Tax”