This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sa302

Divebuddy
Sa302

Postby Divebuddy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:33 am

Hi

Could someone please explain the field
Banks building societies interest and securities. HMRC sent me a SA302 with
That field in with a sum of money which I know nothing about

robbob

Re: Sa302

Postby robbob » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:22 am

check a copy of your submitted tax return , all sa302 totals normally come directly from your tax return - unless you have had an hmrc adjustment to your return ( eg if you forgot to declared taxable cashed in pension pot) the figure will be on your tax return.

You are presumably aware that dividends voted show up as income on your sa302.

If you are struggling still ring hmrc they will either advise there and then or confirm in writing what an income source is - or if you are misreading totals hopefully they will confirm.

robbob

Postby robbob » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:49 pm

Banks building societies interest and securities. HMRC sent me a SA302 with
Sorry i didn't read your post properly earlier.

Good luck trying to get hmrc to confirm what the banks have told them - it would interesting to know if they are happy to divulge this information upon request - i am presuming that would only be supplied in writing if available - if you can ask they can only say no and then you may have to see what gdpr and other rules have to say on the subject if there is a way of forcing them to disclose - one would like to think that like employment income they would be happy to confirm details in writing when asked.

Note i am aware they have an inability to adjust correctly for joint accounts - so i would like to think its a mixture of your accounts with possibly some errors for overstatement on joint accounts and possible understatements for any accounts that don't link up correctly. Have you tried such a mixing and matching to see if you can tally back to their amounts.

Also don't forget statutory interest amounts added to ppi or similar.

Divebuddy

Postby Divebuddy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:43 pm

I'm still confused over this matter, I was asked to fill in a self assessment by HMRC as I had in March taken my personnel pension pot. Scottish Widows
contacted HMRC direct and I paid just over £59,000 in Tax. On the self assessment form I put in the pension pot figure the tax paid, my salary and the PAYE tax paid on that. Its HMRC who had filled in the additional field. Any funds left over from the pension were ether part of the 25% tax free or money that I had already paid tax on and does not amount to £35,000 so I don't know where they get this figure from ay most the savings amount to £22,000. I suppose my next steps will be to contest thus with HMRC

robbob

Postby robbob » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:29 am

. I suppose my next steps will be to contest thus with HMRC
Yes at a minimum hmrc must should be able to substantiate any amendments they have incorrectly/correctly done to your tax return, to be honest it's bad form on their part doing "obvious error amendments" without having the courtesy to check with you first that they have their facts right, its not uncommon that its simply computer/human on their part- i don't think that situation is going to change anytime soon though.

Return to “General”