This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Gifting Part of Property

Penrose
Gifting Part of Property

Postby Penrose » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:58 pm

I telephoned the HMRC Inheritance Tax Helpline to ask for clarification regarding their website info on gifting part of a property to a donee that remains living in the house with the doner. My questions were (1) is 'part of property' quantifiable e.g. is there a minimum or maximum percentage that can be gifted and (2) does the donee have to be a family member or can the gift be given to a friend/unmarried partner?

I was told they cannot enlarge on the information given on the HMRC website even though I was asking for clarification on their words not for personal advice.

Can anyone answer my two questions above please? Thank you in advance.

pawncob

Re: Gifting Part of Property

Postby pawncob » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:35 pm

It can be any amount as long as it's defined properly, and it can be gifted to anyone.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”