This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Employer has not paid my income tax and NI

R1234
Employer has not paid my income tax and NI

Postby R1234 » Fri May 22, 2020 10:33 pm

Hi! I just found out that my employer has never paid my income tax and NI, even though I have received payslips showing the deductions. This basically means that they have kept the income tax and NI and never paid this to HMRC. They say this would never have affected me in any way. I'm wondering to what extent this is true. I have earned under the personal allowance the last tax year, which means I could theoretically claim my tax back now, but as this tax has never actually arrived at HMRC, will I be able to claim anything back at all, or will I have to hope that my employer will pay me back this money at some point?
Further, I wonder if all this could have had any other effect on me in other scenarios (entitlement to social care, benefits in case of unemployment etc.).
It would be great if someone could give me some more info on this. Thanks a lot in advance!

robbob

Re: Employer has not paid my income tax and NI

Postby robbob » Tue May 26, 2020 9:16 am

It dooesn't matter if your employer pays your tax/ni contribution or not, what does matter is that the information has been submitted to hmrc confirming your pay details. if you ring hmrc and ask for an employment record to be sent out they will confirm your pay details as declared to them and as long as those figures have been submitted to hmrc everything is fine whether payment has been made or not.

Return to “Income Tax”