This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT 30 day form

etf
Re: CGT 30 day form

Postby etf » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:09 pm

Sounds like you've copied and pasted the instruction list from a Monty Python sketch.John Cleese could resurrect his career with material like that.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:46 am

Well it's fairly obvious that most advisers will have trouble negotiating HMRC software/holding clients' hands for CGT reporting. Are HMRC aware of these problems? How is Joe Public going to deal with this, or even be made aware of this? I'm so glad I've retired. ;)
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:33 pm

I spent last night trying to understand disguised remuneration rules as applicable to EFRBs. By comparison, the above all makes perfect sense!

Probate is now similar. It's sort of online but badly implemented and solicitors can't use the online process. They've given us 30 page shiny new paper forms instead, which only cover some circumstances and replace the one page template we used before.

etf

Postby etf » Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:44 pm

With the content of this thread still fresh in my mind I came across the following HMRC draft Charter pledge in an email received today :

What we want our service to be all about
Making things easy :shock:
We aim to ensure our services are as accessible as possible and that it is easy, quick and convenient to deal with us :shock: .

Additionally, if I've skim read the content correctly, it appears the days of the phrase even-handed (see NRCGT return thread in the CGT section for relevance of this comment) may also be numbered if HMRC's proposals proceed when the Charter is updated.

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:59 pm

Having finally got the client set up we've reported the gain, which in the grand scheme of HMRC forms wasn't too bad (not as bad as the NRCGT disclosure form).

However, the client has disposed of two properties on different dates in April and you must report each disposal date on a separate return. Simple I thought. So after finishing the first form I clicked to "start another return" and was faced with the following message which I can only assume is an HMRC joke:

You’ll need to contact HMRC
At the moment, only the first return for UK property sale or disposal in the tax year can be submitted online.

You’ll need to contact HMRC and ask for a paper return to be posted to you.

Have your National Insurance number or your Self Assessment Unique Taxpayer Reference to hand if you have one.

So having gone through all that to file an online report I now have to phone HMRC to request a paper form to complete this and any other disposals she has during the year!!
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:51 pm

Having phoned HMRC and discussed it with one of their CGT technical advisers they know nothing about a paper form and haven't been advised anything regarding the system...

Apparently there is a form, but no one knows where to find it or how to send it out.
Fusion Partners LLP

etf

Postby etf » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:35 pm

Thanks Anthony for keeping everyone updated.

I suspect the previously mentioned Taxpayers Charter pledges will be shelved at the next meeting of Spectre.

Blofeld "Someone has complained our CGT returns are not making things easy. I therefore suggest we cut that promise from the Charter".

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:59 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/self-assessment-helpsheets-capital-gains

and SA108 may help
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:58 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/self-assessment-helpsheets-capital-gains

and SA108 may help
If it's as simple as an SA108 I'll be pretty happy - I'll expect a random special purpose form though.

Although in any case, the 2020/21 SA108 isn't even on there...
Fusion Partners LLP

Lambs

Postby Lambs » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:07 am

Hi Folks,

I see that our resident waste of space has posted a News item covering this thread.

https://www.taxationweb.co.uk/tax-news/general/31-july-2020-deadline-tax-credits-self-assessment-postponement-and-disclosure-of-uk-residential-property-gains.html

May be of some use

Kind regards,

Lambs

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”