This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SIPP taxation

dermvc
SIPP taxation

Postby dermvc » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:23 pm

I have a large occupational pension and will be retiring next year. The total value of occupational pension exceeds the current lifetime allowance and I will be subject to a tax charge when this is crystallise. I also have a SIPP pension which I will not be crystallising for the foreseeable future.

Could you confirm that no tax charge is due on my SIPP until it is crystallised
If in 20 years time, I decide to crystallise it, will it be tested against the amount of the life time allowance at that time which may be considerably more than at present

AdamS93

Re: SIPP taxation

Postby AdamS93 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:58 am

It is calculated using percentages.

If you use up 100% of your lifetime allowance, you will have 0% of it left when the SIPP crystallises. So even if the lifetime allowance increases 0% of £1.5m is still £0 for example.

It is a nice problem to have, but there is very little you can do (if anything) to avoid this charge now.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”