This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Main Residence nomination

estateexec
Main Residence nomination

Postby estateexec » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:17 am

In the case of a main home and second home which have both been owned for over 2 years, if we wish to make the second home our "main residence", is there any way other than purchasing a 3rd property and then making the "main residence" nomination for the new property combination within 2 years, that we can change the PRR status on our second home? What if the second home was let out as furnished holiday accommodation for a while? Any advice much appreciated.

pawncob

Re: Main Residence nomination

Postby pawncob » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:53 pm

https://www.taxationweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=53740&p=197519&hilit=changing+PPR#p197519
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

estateexec

Postby estateexec » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:22 pm

Dear pawncob. Thank you for your reply post. So basically what constitutes a change in combination of residences in relation to renting a property, or occupying an empty property is not defined and therefore comes down to interpretation of HMRCs notices. Is this correct or am I missing something? my apologies if so.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:45 pm

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/capital-gains-manual/cg64495

A change of circumstances can trigger a new nomination deadline.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

estateexec

Postby estateexec » Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:14 am

Thankyou pawncob. Much appreciated.

AdamS93

Postby AdamS93 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:10 pm

If you let out any of your properties (whilst you are not living in it), then it is not your PPR and you cannot nominate it as such.

The PPR nomination is designed for individuals who have two properties, both of which they use themselves such as a flat in London where they stay during the week, and house in the country where they spend weekends.

Return to “Property Taxation”