This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

personal tax relief on company loan

Herbs16
personal tax relief on company loan

Postby Herbs16 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:26 pm

Hi
I made a directors loan into my company, the company has been sold on without repayment of my loan therefore ive lost the money, can I claim personal tax relief on this
The company was started from scratch, I invested £100k into machinery and the business was sold for £25k basically as goodwill
Thanks

pawncob

Re: personal tax relief on company loan

Postby pawncob » Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:36 pm

https://www.taxationweb.co.uk/tax-articles/business-tax/tax-relief-for-loans-to-traders.html
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:41 pm

The company was sold? Does that mean you sold your shares? If that is the case the £25k was for your shares, not for goodwill.

Why do you think the loan has the loan become irrecoverable? You are a creditor in the accounts and the loan can be reclaimed.

samlarson

Postby samlarson » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:37 am

Hi
I made a directors loan into my company, the company has been sold on without repayment of my loan therefore ive lost the money, can I claim personal tax relief on this
The company was started from scratch, I invested £100k into machinery and the business was sold for £25k basically as goodwill
Thanks
Nothing mandatory but get repayment terms agreed
Hi - nothing in law to require the loan to be repayed at any time ie it's just an unsecured debt of the company and, presuming there were no terms agreed when you lent it, it's up to you & the company to decide when it's repayable.

At the moment (pre-sale) it's all in your hands but afterwards, without agreeing anything you could be waiting forever.

If it were me I'd insist the loan was repaid on completion and if the company didn't have the funds then the new owner/director(s) should pay it & effectively just put themselves in the position you are in now.

If for whatever reason they do not have the ability to pay it off then you should get something agreed in writing, ie over what term & at what interest rate should the loan be repaid preferably with personal guarantees by the new owners/directors.
I'm a freelance writer and my latest project is this article on is it cheaper to buy or build a house at promoneysavings. Check it out an maybe you could have some feedback.

Return to “Income Tax”