This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

RNRB on failed PET main residence GWR

trifter1
RNRB on failed PET main residence GWR

Postby trifter1 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:29 am

Hi,
My father passed in away recently.
In 2019 he gifted his main residence to me with an written write of residency, he lived in the house until his death and paid some of the bills i.e rates etc.

Given that the house has now fallen back into his estate at least for tax purposes and that he reserved a benifit from it.

Can RNRB be applied on this house? Can I be seem is passing to me after death or downsizing?

Thanks
Adam.

trifter1

Re: RNRB on failed PET main residence GWR

Postby trifter1 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:45 pm

any ideas :)

maths

Re: RNRB on failed PET main residence GWR

Postby maths » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:18 pm

Assuming the property was not settled in trust but was an outright gift to son then as the gift wold have been a gift with reservation as father occupied the property then the RNRB would have ben available on father's death.

If the property had been settled with father retaining a life interest then no RNRB would be available.

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”