This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buying House for Inlaws

keithm440
Buying House for Inlaws

Postby keithm440 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:12 pm

Hi All
Apologies if the wrong forum - just wanted some advice. In-laws are looking to move and will be putting their house on the market. Now they will need to sell their house to be able to buy a new one so would enter a chain. What would be the tax implications of my wife and I buying a house for them or lending the cash to them for it and them paying us back once they sell theirs ? - basically just trying to help them if they see one they really fall in love with.
I don’t want to try and do a good deed and then end up breaking any rules!
Thank you in advance !

maths

Re: Buying House for Inlaws

Postby maths » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:44 pm

Best and easiest option is to lend them the money so they buy the property in their own names and pay you back in due course.

SDLT Geek

Postby SDLT Geek » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:31 pm

Good advice from maths. The in-laws are likely to have to pay the extra 3% SDLT (assuming they are buying in England) if they buy their new home before they sell their old one. But the extra 3% should be recoverable when the sell their old one, within three years.

keithm440

Postby keithm440 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 7:32 pm

Thanks both, really appreciate it - so I don’t expose either parties tax wise if we lend them the money and they then pay us back once it’s sold ?

maths

Postby maths » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:00 pm

Correct.

Return to “Property Taxation”