This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.


Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Federal Tax Withheld

Joined:Tue May 11, 2021 1:43 pm
Federal Tax Withheld

Postby HC2021ST » Tue May 11, 2021 1:54 pm


I'm a UK citizen and have $462.00 (USD) in withheld federal tax. This happened as I sell my content online via an American company.

I was sent a 1042-S by them. After researching how I can actually claim the money back (the company offered no support), I came across the 1040-NR, which, unless I'm mistaken is the form I need to send to the IRS.

It appears that I need an ITIN to submit this form. Since the deadline for the 1040-NR appears to be on 17 May, I am unsure if I can submit a W7 application with the 1040-NR or if at this stage I am out of luck as the ITIN process seems to take 8-10 weeks.

Any thoughts are immensely appreciated.

Many thanks.

Return to “International Tax”