This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

EIS 'rights issue' - additional shares deemed owned since original purchase for IHT?

EIS_Rookie
EIS 'rights issue' - additional shares deemed owned since original purchase for IHT?

Postby EIS_Rookie » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:52 pm

Hi

I made an EIS-qualifying investment of £10,000 in Company A with shares issued to me 30 months ago, which I believe now qualify for BPR in relation to IHT. I have non-dilution

Company A has recently undertaken a new funding round. As part of my pre-emption rights on the issue of new shares, I was offered a pro-rata allocation of £2,000 which I did invested and again qualified for EIS Income Tax Relief. I had presumed that the second investment would not qualify for BPR until two years after the allocation date of these second batch of shares..

I recently spotted that in the case of a rights issue, the rights shares are deemed to have been owned since the original shares were acquired. If my situation qualified for this concession then I would not have two wait two years for the £2,000 to qualify for BPR and so the full £12,000 would be potentially exempt from IHT.

Can someone advise whether this concession applies to EIS shares and whether the fundraising round has any chance of being considered a rights issue? (And if so, what requirements would need to be in place and what documentation I would need to hold)

Thanks

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”