Thats annoying , for us as agets for individuals with UTR's we simply go in and change. If she has UTR she might be able to change her name within her online gateway.
all you can do is keep badgering hmrc till they relent - complianig as you go.
Perhaps making a gdpr compaint might have the best affect
We believe it's sorted - four years after we think it went wrong and after two years of trying to get it put right!
I started with a subject access request. While my particular and directed request appears to have been ignored and they just sent a "standard NI response", it does seem that that has caused them to change at least some things. It's really hard to make sense of what they've sent but they clearly have (according to the trail of previous addresses) updated her address as a result of my SAR (the date of the change is the date of my request) despite it saying "we were told about this address in 2018" (her first tax return after we moved) at the top where it has her current address!
They may also have removed my name from her record because it doesn't appear *anywhere* in the 100 pages of information that they sent.
However, that *still* didn't fix things. When she logged on her national insurance letter, national insurance record, and state pension forecast still had my name on it!
But now having filled in the forms for me to do a SAR for her I assumed I would now be able to ring up on her behalf to fix it - they insisted on talking to her to go through security, but miracles of miracles, she could now pass the security checks. (At a guess it was the address that was wrong)
The first call (Monday) something was changed on her record but after the "wait 24 hours" it still wasn't fixed.
Second call, yesterday, I got to speak to a very helpful Andrew, who understood what the problem was, wasn't surprised that the three things that were wrong were all wrong, was able to completely remove my name from her record and now seems to be completely fixed
Her next task is to ask her lisa provider to reapply for the top-up.
Special thanks to robbob for the clue about the gdpr complaint. Although we didn't get that far, starting on that trail by trying to find out what was actually wrong so we could get it corrected seems to have been the nudge that was needed to get it fixed.
And a suggestion for anyone making a CGT main residence election - be absolutely clear in the letter that names and addresses must not be changed as a result of the election. We think that was the trigger that caused things to change for NI (but not tax!) - but because we didn't know anything had changed she couldn't pass the security checks to get it fixed!
(And I've now got to check my NI record for those bits because I guess I might have a wrong address too - it's right on my tax reference - but it was on hers too)