This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

What IHT Form do I use for a sibling who died in 1973?

MariaM
What IHT Form do I use for a sibling who died in 1973?

Postby MariaM » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:13 am

Hi all, I've just registered and hope someone is able to help as I'm up against a deadline to obtain 'Letters of Administration' for my husband's sibling who sadly died young and homeless in 1973.
The whole family were all brought up in care and were badly abused whilst in the care of a London Council Authority. There is a Redress scheme that has been operating but which closes on 31 December 2021. My husband has already obtained Letters of Administration for two of his siblings who died after 2006 and I've used the forms PA1A along with the relevant IHT205 forms according to the years they died.
I now need to use an IHT Form for his oldest sibling who died at the age of 21 in 1973 in England. Although he died homeless and with no assets there is the potential for damages over £10K resulting from the Redress Scheme. Could anyone advise me what form I can download? I have been advised to use paper forms as opposed to online forms that are not correct anyway. I've just had a bit of a nightmare getting through to the probate helpline and thought I'd see is someone here could help while I'm working on this over the weekend bank holiday!
Many thanks in anticipation.

AGoodman

Re: What IHT Form do I use for a sibling who died in 1973?

Postby AGoodman » Tue Aug 31, 2021 5:15 pm

Unfortunately, 1973 predates both inheritance tax and capital transfer tax so you will need forms for estate duty.

The only way I can see to obtain those is from HMRC. Try the bereavement helpline 0300 200 3300 and/or 0300 123 1072 and set some time aside - you may be passed on somewhat.

MariaM

Re: What IHT Form do I use for a sibling who died in 1973?

Postby MariaM » Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:21 pm

Many thanks A Goodman, I'll make sure I keep time for the phone!

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”